If you would prefer a PDF of this pattern, you can download it here from Ravelry.
- Approximately 30 yards (28 metres) of sport weight yarn
- US 3 (2.5 mm) set of double pointed needles, or suitably long circular needle for Magic Loop
- Yarn needle
- 4 stitch markers (one unique)
24 sts = 4 ins
32 rows = 4 ins
- CO 60 sts.
- Join to knit in the round, being careful not to twist stitches. Place unique marker to indicate beginning of rnd.
- Rounds 1 to 3: K1, P1 around.
- Knit in stockinette (K all sts) for the next 20 rounds.
- Round 1: (K1, P1) 3 times, PM. k18. (P1, K1) 3 times. PM. Knit to end of rnd.
- Round 2: (P1, K1) 3 times, K18, (K1, P1) 3 times. Knit to end of rnd.
- Repeat Rounds 1 and 2 five times more. You are making two seed stitch squares at the top corners of the front of the hat.
- Put first 30 sts (front of hat) on one dpn and last 30 sts (back of hat) on another needle. Use Kitchener Stitch to graft front and back of hat together.
- Break yarn and weave in ends. You're done!
CO = cast on
K = knit
P = purl
rnd = round
sts = stitches
dpn = double pointed needle
PM = place marker
(This pattern is free for personal use; please do not sell hats made from this pattern or use it without attribution to the author.)